OKLAHOMA CITY — Navy Band Southwest is scheduled to perform at several venues in the Oklahoma City Metro during Navy Week, May 27 to June 2.
Navy Band Southwest’s Wind Ensemble concerts include standard repertoire associated with military bands, as well as more contemporary, popular selections, according to an event press release. Pieces range from patriotic songs, to the sounds of the big band era, to current pop and country tunes.
Featured composers include John Philip Sousa, Gustav Holst and John Williams. “This ensemble prides itself in presenting a variety of music sure to please audiences of all ages and tastes,” according to the press release.
Scheduled free public performances are scheduled for the following locations and times:
• Oklahoma City Zoo, 11 a.m. May 27;
• St. Joseph’s Cathedral, 6-7:30 p.m. May 27;
• Oklahoma History Center, 7-8:30 p.m. May 28;
• Choctaw Library, 2-3 p.m. May 29;
• Oklahoma City National Memorial, 6-7 p.m. May 29;
• Myriad Botanical Garden, 11-11:45 a.m. and 7-8:30 p.m. May 30;
• Oklahoma City Food Truck Friday, 12-1:30 p.m. May 31;
• Oklahoma City Library, 2-3 p.m. May 31;
• Edmond Library, 7-8 p.m. May 31;
• Star Spangled Salute, Tinker Air Force Base, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 1-2.
More than a decade ago, the U.S. Navy created the Navy Week outreach program to “build and strengthen ties to various communities,” according to the press release. During Navy Week, Navy representatives visit cities across the country, offering public outreach programs.
Oklahoma City’s Navy Week will feature:
• Senior Navy leadership
• Sailors from locally assigned units such as Strategic Communications Wing
• Sailors from the oldest warship afloat, USS Constitution
• Navy Divers and Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams
• Navy Band Southwest performances
• Ceremonial Guard Drill Team performances
• Sailors from Navy Meteorological and Oceanographic Command
• Local recruiters and U.S. Naval Academy admissions representatives
• Office of Small Business Programs symposium
• The Blue Angels
For more information about the Navy Band Southwest performance at the Oklahoma History Center, please call (405) 522-0765.
The Oklahoma History Center is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society and is an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, National Archives and is an accredited member of the American Alliance of Museums. For more information about the OHS, visit www.okhistory.org.