ENID, Okla. — Zach Beutelschies' honesty might have been his undoing at the 46th annual Wheat Capital Tournament Sunday at Meadowlake Golf Course.

Beutelschies finished the 17th hole thinking he was a shot behind Walker Henson for the championship flight title with a 144.

However, Joel Driver, Beutelschies' playing partner had marked a seven instead of an eight on the 14th hole. Officials were preparing a playoff between Henson and Beutelschies.

Before going to the tee, Beutelschies reviewed the card with Henson and Jon Cline, the other member of the foursome. Driver had already left. The trio determined Beutelschies indeed had an eight instead of a seven, making Henson the champion.

But because he signed an incorrect scoreboard, Beutelschies was disqualified, making Rob Raborn the runner-up at 145. Raborn shot an even par 71 to Henson's 1-over par 72 and Beutelschies' 75.

"The hardest thing about this job is DQ-ing someone who had just won,'' said tournament director Steve Darnold, "but somebody has to enforce the rules and that falls on me.''

Darnold had told Beutelschies after making the ruling that he was sorry but Beutelschies was responsible for double checking his card.

"It was an unlucky occurrence,'' Beutelschies said. "I should have been more mindful — nothing was done on purpose. Joel Driver is a great guy and a good golfer. It was just something that was overlooked. It is what it is. I'm not a cheater.''

Henson said he had thought he had a three-shot lead going into 18th. Beutelschies birdied the hole while Henson 3-putted for a bogey.

"I was trying to keep in my mind where I was,'' Henson said. "I tried not too think too much about it. It was in the back of my head, but you got to pay attention to where you're at.''

Henson is the five-time defending club champion at Oakwood Country Club, but this was his first Wheat Capital title.

"It's a win,'' he said. "It feels good. I grew up hearing about it all of the time. It's nice to get a win out here. I like everybody that plays the tournament. I had a lot of fun and I will be back.''

The tournament had turned around on No. 14 when Beutelschies had the quadruple bogey eight and Henson parred hole. Henson went from being one-shot down to three shots up. Both bogeyed the 15th and parred the 16th and 17th.

"I second-guessed myself,'' Beutelschies said. "I pulled out a driver and then I went back to the bag and got an iron and that's what cost me. I just made a bad swing. I should have gone with my gut.''

Beutelschies had been even until birdies on No. 1 and No. 10 and a eagle on No. 4. He had bogeyed No. 2, No. 8, No. 9 and No. 12.

"I was really hitting the ball well until then,'' he said. "It was frustrating to finish it out like that. I had a good birdie putt on No. 18 but that wasn't enough. Walker is a great golfer. He hit the ball well all day.''

"Zach played well,'' Henson said. "It just got a little rough on the 14th. We were battling each other pretty well.''

Henson started off fast with birdies on Nos. 1, 4 and 5 before bogeying the No. 9 and No. 13.

"I was hitting the ball pretty solid,'' Henson said. "I putted a lot better than I did yesterday (when he shot a even par 71). I had a lot of really good ups and downs. I was able to make some good birdie putts.''

The tournament was delayed for 2 1/2 hours because of a Sunday morning rainstorm.

"It was nice knowing it would be delayed before I got out here,'' Henson said.

Raborn, the defending champion who played in the group before Henson and Beutelschies, had an even par 71 for his 145.

Raborn had an eagle three on No. 4 and bogeyed No. 6. He had 16 pars on a day he couldn't get his putter going. He missed a couple of three footers and had birdie putts lip out on No. 13 and No. 14.

"I drove the ball much better today,'' he said. "I just didn't make any putts. When those putts lipped out, I thought my chances were gone. It was tough out there today. It wasn't as wet as you may think it was, but it was tough getting the right distance to get it on the fairway.''

Jon Cline was third at 147 after firing a two-over par 73. He shot a three-under par 32 on the back with birdies on Nos. 12, 14, 16 and No. 18. That was preceded by bogeys on Nos. 2, 3, 5 and No. 10 and a double bogey six on No. 9.

"It was just one of those days,'' Cline said. "You can't play good all the time. I've been playing pretty good lately. I just struggled early.''

John Petersen won the senior flight with a 148 after a second straight 74.

Other flight winners were Josh Bugg (75-71-146), first flight; James Kite (81-79-160), second flight; Tim Winfield (88-91-179), third flight and Heath Cook (93-88-181), Joe Armstrong Flight.

Click for the latest, full-access Enid News & Eagle headlines | Text Alerts | app downloads

Campbell writes for the Enid News & Eagle, enidnews@enidnews.com.